Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Day 7-the waiting room worth waiting for

As a chronic illness/pain patient there are so many different things that change a simple couple of hours in a waiting room can go from a normal experience to a painful, flare-inducing, long lasting effects kind of scenario. So many of us have things we won't leave home without to make the torturous wait a bit easier-for me, noise reducing earbuds & my iPod are number 1-& I even would bring a light blanket or a sweater in the summer as hours under the A/C vent are enough to leave me wanting to wait outside on the hundred degree curb. As much as we prepare, there are things far outside our control-& here's where day 7's prompt comes in-redesign a doctor's office/waiting room. Other than the doctor coming to us, here's a few things I would change.

1-seating. Chairs of all kinds, primarily ones without sides or room enough to be able to pull your legs up & sit lotus style/Indian style. I cannot tell you what fresh hell awaits when I sit for more than about 3 minutes with my legs extended down to the floor. Lightening bolts through my sciatic nerves from my back down through my toes & back up-so that is always the happiest sight for me-big, wide, fat chairs.

2-a no smell zone. Strong smells (pleasant ones even) can send a brain's pain center into overdrive-so somehow magically erasing anything from perfume/hand lotions/smoke off of people as they come in would be fantastic. My last office before moving had people smoking outside which was fine-but as they walked in the breeze would gust the smell inside & patients started to crumble.

3-Other than lovely, no-fragrance candles, a soft lighting scheme would be great. Nice lamp light is so much better than harsh, overhead lighting. My last neurologist could come in & see how the lights bothered me & would automatically dim the lights-heaven. Obviously in a waiting room you can't really do that-but lamps would cut out so much glare. A girl can dream!

4-little things, like a basket of blankets & throws to updated magazines & books. Many of us have to be driven there, & I always worry about my dad-did he bring a book? Are there fun magazines for him to read? Could he just stretch out & take a nap? Our caregiver's comfort is also a factor-& having a huge selection of magazines would be great. Even a wifi hotspot, water, or coffee corner would be great.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment